Reasons I love to read:
- Enjoying the quiet time to sit and read a good book - this is the best "me time"
- Exploring new ideas and different ways of seeing the world, a different culture, or a particular issue without having to leave the comfort of my own.
- Learning about the world, I read at least 1-3 non-fiction books a year.
- Researching advice on topics of importance to me to solve problems
- Informing myself about the world
- Finding new things to talk about with my friends and family
So I quickly googled Banned Books in Canada how this list of books being challenged. Now, don't get me wrong, some materials are not age-appropriate for children, and there are definitely some controversial issues discussed in some of the books by the sound of some of the titles but that isn't a good reason for censorship - especially when books like Harry Potter, Star Wars, and the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn are included. Also, considering how awesome some of the challenged books on these lists are, I think I'm going to choose a couple of books from these lists for my own "To Read List" and this I do in honor of Read-In Week.
Are some of your favourite books on these lists? I'd love to hear from you!