Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a new parent. My interests are secularism, learning, parenting, religion, career planning, and adult education.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Introduction

I am on the brink of a brand new life – parenthood. In a few short months, my husband and I will be welcoming a new life into our home, hearts, and life. I could not be more excited. This is probably a crazy time to commit myself to writing a blog, hey? Well, it's been something I've been thinking of doing for some time - and there is a part of me that feels like I will want this outlet during the year I will be on maternity leave, which will likely start in November. Let's see how that goes.

So, to start off here is a little bit of information about me.

Over the past 5 years, I evolved from a religious to a secular humanist world view. As a believer, I was often admonished to live in the world, but not be “of the world.” As a secular humanist, I now celebrate being “of this world” and am inspired by it and its inhabitants. For the past 3 years, I have been enjoying the blogging community as an observer and appreciator. I have also been reading books and magazines and listening to podcasts related to skepticism and evidence-based decision making. I am fascinated with other people’s journeys, motivations, and thought processes and often like to reflect on and discuss my own. From time to time, I will probably reflect on this journey, what it means to me, and how it affects my day-to-day life, my views on current events, and what it is like for me to approach family life and parenting with this world view. 

Professionally, my career has involved recruitment and selection, career planning, professional development and adult education. I have a degree in family social sciences with a focus on human development and am currently pursuing an advanced degree in adult and distance education. These are also topics that may crop up on my blog from time to time.

I truly believe that the way forward in this world is to connect with as diverse a group of humans as possible and to develop an appreciation for both human sameness and diversity.

Ultimately, I hope this blog will be an opportunity for me to share my life with my family and friends, sort out my thoughts and feelings regarding life`s joys and challenges, and to engage in dialogue with others on topics related to family life, parenting, secular humanism, skepticism, learning, and career planning.

I’m not really sure how this blog will shape itself over time, as I’m sure I will find my rhythm and make changes as I go.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. Or is it blogoverse? Whichever - welcome! Looking forward to soaking up yer coolness in this medium ... Interesting title - I look forward to discussing it during our next chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoohoo! My first comment!

    LOL!! Does it need to be discussed? Perhaps I'll share my reasoning in more detail in an upcoming post :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are interested in scepticism and secular humanism, try watching Zeitgeist, and then watch Zeitgeist Addendum. They take the scientific approach towards beliefs society hold true in the Zeitgeist original. In the Addendum, they take a look at solutions to some of societies major flaws and how to solve most problems society is facing using science and technology at hand today. The only thing holding us back, is people having closed minds and not listening to new ideas. People need to open their eyes, stop thinking its about us and what he are grateful to keep. Society needs to change, and fast. SO its worth a watch, but you have to Watch both movies to understand the points they are trying to make. Don't, half assed watch it either, I mean try to listen with an open mind to what they are saying in each movie. They are set to release another movie this fall, which could prove interesting. Changing the mind spirit is what the movement is all about. Humans will not evolve unless they are willing to change their mind spirit. Highly recommend you watch it in its entirety.
    http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. While entertaining and interesting, Zeitgeist is not a good representation of critical thinking and analysis for several interests. It is a great example, however, of how fact and fiction combined makes the conspircy more interesting than the reality. However, conspiracy theories like the ones promoted through the Zeitgeist movement do more damage to legitimate issues than good.

    I would direct you to the following sources:

    http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-02-25#feature

    http://boingboing.net/2007/08/06/jay-kinney-reviews-z.html

    to quote Jay Kinny:

    "There are plenty of legitimate questions about what transpired on 9/11, just as there are plenty of shady doings in international finance or puzzling aspects of religious history, for that matter. And what is coming down in the name of National Security is truly unnerving. Yet, bundling them all together in disjointed fashion does justice to none of them. Time and again, Zeitgeist maximizes emotional impact at the expense of a more reasoned weighing of evidence. But, perhaps that's the intention."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dea
    This blog is reason as to why I and most people love you. I've just read the last three posts and am in awe of what a special person you are. I am thankful that you have decided to do this because now more people in the world get to see the huge warm heart you have and perhaps get inspired by what they read. It will be very hard not to be inspired by this and I for one, have just now taken the time to count my blessings. Life has been good to me and in the middle of feeling sorry for myself, you managed to turn that around without even being around this time.
    This blog may be an outlet for you, but it certainly serve to enrich everyone who reads it.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing yourself with the world in this way.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Kim for your kind words of support - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zeitgeist was created as a nonprofit filmiac expression to inspire people to start looking at the world from a more critical perspective and to understand that very often things are not what the population at large think they are. The Zeitguest movement is not about 9/11...in fact the second movie does not even discuss 9/11....try watching both movies....then be a skeptic....who is Jay Kinny any ways?

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and opinions. Personal attacks and spam will be deleted.